A Journey of Spiritual Encounter June 7-17, 2024
The LMU Center for Religion and Spirituality and the Loyola Institute for Spirituality invite you to explore the witness of the Apostles and the saints on a pilgrimage to Rome, Assisi and several other key sites in Italy. Following a long-standing Christian tradition, we look to the saints for both inspiration for living our faith, and also to seek spiritual strength through their intercession. This pilgrimage will bring participants up-close to saints from many different centuries in the life of the Church:
- Sts. Peter and Paul, Apostles
- St. Mark the Evangelist
- St. Ambrose (4th century)
- Sts. Francis, Clare and Anthony (13th century)
- St. Ignatius (16th century)
- Pope St. John XXIII (20th century)
- Bl. Carlo Acutis (21st century)
The pilgrimage is ten days and nine nights in Italy and will be conducted bilingually (English/Spanish) as needed. The pilgrimage group will also have the presence of Lori Stanley and Jesuit Father Allan Figueroa Deck who will be available for spiritual conversation, brief orientations and inspirational reflections, along with a half-day retreat. Daily Mass will be celebrated by Father Allan except when the group may choose to attend Mass with a local community.
|December 21, 2023||Last day for $50 Discount for Early Commitment Deposit|
|January 19, 2024||Last day for $200 Super-Early Full Payment Discount|
|February 15, 2024||Last day for $100 Early Full Payment Discount|
|March 6, 2024||Final Payment Due|
|March 11, 2024||Pre-departure Class Meeting 1|
|May 20, 2024||Pre-departure Class Meeting 2|
|June 7, 2024||Departure to Spain|
Registration and General Information
Please read the information published here closely. You can contact the Center with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (310) 338-2799.
In Italy, LMU and LIS are partnering with Rutas Meigas, a travel provider that specializes in European pilgrimages.
Flights depart Los Angeles International Airport (or your hometown) on Friday, June 7, 2024. Pilgrimage activities within Italy begin at Rome’s Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport the evening of Saturday, June 8, 2024 and conclude at the Milan Linate Airport on the morning of Monday, June 17, 2024.
Visits and activities
Fri., June 7
Departure from LAX (or your hometown)
Sat., June 8
Arrival at Fiumicino Airport and transfer to Rome
Sun. and Mon., June 9 and 10
Rome, including the Angelus with Pope Francis at St. Peter’s Square and visits to major holy sites
Tues., June 11
Morning: tracing the footsteps of St. Ignatius in Rome
Tues., June 11
Afternoon departure for Assisi
Wed., June 12
Explore the stories of St. Francis, St. Clare and Bl. Carlo Acutis
Thurs., June 13
Depart for Padua to visit the Basilica of St. Anthony
Thurs., June 13
Arrival in Venice
Fri., June 14
Basilica of St. Mark in Venice; depart after lunch for Lakes Region
Lakes Region – Lombardy (near Brescia)
Fri., June 14
Arrival to Centro Oreb Retreat House
Sat., June 15
Sotto il Monte – birthplace of Pope St. John XXIII and then on to Milan – the Duomo and the tomb of St. Ambrose
Sun., June 16
Half-day retreat, then free afternoon and evening
Mon. June 17
Depart from Milan Linate Airport for LAX (or your hometown)
- Round-trip airfare from Los Angeles
- Lodging in a room with private bathroom
- 9 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 8 suppers
- Private bus for the tour and services indicated in the program
- Accompanying guide from arrival in Rome to departure from Milan (Pilar Gómez)
- Hotels in Rome (3 nights), Assisi (2 nights) and Venice-Mestre (1 night), each offering supper and breakfast (in the case of Rome, supper will be at a local restaurant)
- Centro Oreb Retreat House (3 nights) in the Lakes Region/Lombardy, offering 3 breakfasts, 2 suppers and 1 lunch
- Local guide for visits to Rome, Assisi, Venice and Milan
- Headphones the entire trip
- Basic tourist insurance, without cancellation expense coverage
- Tips for guides and driver and at all included meals
- Rome: visits to major holy and historical sites, including following in the footsteps of St. Ignatius of Loyola in Rome
- Assisi: Basilica of Saint Francis
- Padua: Basilica of Saint Anthony
- Venice: Vaporetto (boat) and St. Mark's Basilica
- Milan: Tomb of Saint Ambrose and Duomo of Milan
- Visits and tickets not mentioned
- Meals and beverages, other than specified under inclusions
- Red Cap / Luggage Service
- Laundry and other items of a personal nature
- Donations to churches
- Cost for anything not specifically mentioned under inclusions
How to Register
Reserve your spot with a $500 Commitment Deposit with the LMU Center for Religion and Spirituality.
Prices and Links. LMU and the Loyola Institute are offering a full package, covering round-trip airfare from Los Angeles and all pilgrimage activities in Italy (see the Itinerary + Inclusions tab above):
Scroll down for prices without airfare ('Land Only').
Up to $550 in discounts and rebates. Up to $250 in discounts are available. An additional $300 rebate will be made one month before departure if the pilgrimage fills (scroll down for more information).
Please note. The links above will take you to the LMU Center for Religion and Spirituality's online catalog where you can register and make a payment of at least $500 (your minimum deposit that reserves your spot on this pilgrimage).
If you have any trouble navigating the registration process, please call the LMU Center for Religion and Spirituality at (310) 338-2799. In particular, the reset password function on the LMU registration page may not work.
Commitment Deposit Required. A $500 non-refundable commitment deposit is required to reserve your spot in the pilgrimage. The Commitment Deposit counts toward the total price of the pilgrimage, and is only refundable should LMU decide not to run the pilgrimage.
$50 Discount for Early Commitment Deposit. Register for the pilgrimage and pay your Commitment Deposit by December 21, 2023, and receive a $50 discount. Please note: discount is applied to the total bill after the Commitment Deposit is paid (it is NOT a discount on the Commitment Deposit itself).
$200 Super-Early Full Payment Discount. Pay in full by January 19, 2024 and receive a $200 discount. Please note: this discount can be combined with the Early Commitment Deposit discount only (it cannot be combined with any other discount).
$100 Early Full Payment Discount. Pay in full between January 20 and February 15, 2024 and receive a $100 discount. Please note: this discount can be combined with the Early Commitment Deposit discount only (it cannot be combined with any other discount).
Final payment due March 6, 2024.
$300 Full Tour Rebate
If one month prior to departure the pilgrimage is full (35 participants), all participants will receive a $300 rebate. The cost of running the pilgrimage goes down with a larger group, and so we are passing on savings to the participants.
Land Only Pricing and Registration
LMU and the Loyola Institute also offer a limited number of 'land only' packages covering all pilgrimage activities in Italy (see the Itinerary + Inclusions tab above) EXCEPT round-trip airfare:
Participants purchasing a land only package must arrive to the pilgrimage meeting point in Rome when pilgrimage activities begin on the evening of Saturday, June 8, 2024. All matters pertaining to commitment deposits, payment deadlines, discounts and rebates listed above also apply to those selecting the land only package.
Cancellations and Refunds
$500 Commitment Deposit is nonrefundable. Beginning March 6, 2024, all payments for the remaining cost of this pilgrimage are nonrefundable.
Please consider purchasing trip insurance to protect the investment you make in this pilgrimage.
Your airfare is included (unless you opt for 'land only'); additionally, all land transportation within Italy is included.
Corniche Travel has partnered with LMU and LIS to offer round-trip travel from Los Angeles to Italy on Aer Lingus (all times reflect local time):
- EI68 - Departs Los Angeles (LAX) FRI June 7, 2024 at 8:15 PM; arrives in Dublin (DUB) SAT June 8, 2024 at 2:30 PM
- EI406 - Departs DUB SAT June 8, 2024 at 3:40 PM; arrives in Rome (FCO) SAT June 8, 2024 at 7:45 PM
- EI433 - Departs Milan (LIN) MON June 17, 2024 at 11:20 AM; arrives at DUB MON June 17, 2024 at 12:50 PM
- EI69 - Departs DUB MON June 17, 2024 at 3:25 PM; arrives at LAX MON June 17, 2024 at 6:30 PM
Keep in mind. Group flights are only for the Aer Lingus flights listed above; no changes/deviations are allowed.
If you prefer, you can opt for 'land only' and book your own international trip. As the program will begin in Rome and end in Milan, participants will need to book their travel to and from Italy taking into account these dates and times:
- Arrival in Rome must be before 7:45 PM on Saturday, June 8, 2024
- The return flight from Milan can depart no earlier than the morning of Monday, June 17, 2024
Important travel requirements. All participants must have a valid passport (expiration date of at least 6 months from the scheduled date of return to the United States). Participants are responsible for being familiar with US and Italian travel requirements. No refunds will be made if a participant does not obtain proper travel documentation.
You can find information about travel from the US to Italy on the US Department of State website.
In preparation for this pilgrimage, two online pre-departure class meetings have been scheduled.
- Monday, March 11, 2024, 7:00 - 8:00 PM Pacific time
- Monday, May 20, 2024, 7:00 - 8:00 PM Pacific time
Pilgrims are required to attend these class meetings, which will be conducted via live video-conferencing (Zoom).