A Journey of Spiritual Renewal and Discovery
June 23-July 2, 2023
The LMU Center for Religion and Spirituality and the Loyola Institute for Spirituality invite you to walk the historic Camino de Santiago (Way of Saint James) in Spain. Created and established after the discovery of the relics of Saint James the Great at the beginning of the ninth century, the Way of St James became, and remains to today, a major pilgrimage route of Christianity. Haga clic aquí para información en español.
The pilgrimage is nine days and eight nights in Spain, a six-day walk through scenic and historic parts of the Spanish region of Galicia. A group of no more than 25 pilgrims will form a community eager for spiritual conversation and conviviality. To this companionship is added the presence of Lori Stanley and Jesuit Father Allan Figueroa Deck who will be available for spiritual conversation, brief orientations and inspirational reflections. Father Deck is arranging to offer Mass every day for those who wish to attend.
The pilgrimage begins June 23, 2023 with the group flight's departure from Los Angeles (LAX); you may also book your own plane travel to Spain (tickets for the group flight are sold separately). Activities within Spain begin at Santiago de Compostela airport the evening of Saturday, June 24 and conclude at the same airport on the morning of Sunday, July 2.
For reference, please see the dates/deadlines listed below. Please read the Registration and General Information for details.
|December 21, 2022||Last day for $50 Discount for Early Commitment Deposit|
|January 16, 2023||Last day for $200 Super-Early Full Payment Discount|
|February 15, 2023||Last day for $100 Early Full Payment Discount|
|March 6, 2023||Pre-departure Class Meeting 1|
|March 15, 2023||Final Payment Due|
|March 20, 2023||Final Payment for Group Flight Due|
|June 5, 2023||Pre-departure Class Meeting 2|
|June 23, 2023||Departure to Spain|
Registration and General Information
Please read the information published here closely. You can contact the Center with any questions at email@example.com or by calling (310) 338-2799.
In Spain, LMU and LIS are partnering with Rutas Meigas, a travel provider that specializes in the Camino de Santiago.
Pilgrimage activities within Spain begin at Santiago de Compostela airport the evening of Saturday, June 24, 2023 and conclude at the same airport on the morning of Sunday, July 2, 2023.
- Friday, June 23: Departure from LAX (or your hometown)
- Saturday, June 24: Arrival at Santiago airport and transfer to Sarria
- Sunday, June 25: Sarria – Portomarin +/- 22.2 km
- Monday, June 26: Portomarin – Palas de Rei +/- 24.8 km
- Tuesday, June 27: Palas de Rei - Melide +/- 14.4 km
- Wednesday, June 28: Melide - Arzua +/- 14.1 km
- Thursday, June 29: Arzua – O Pedrouzo +/- 19.3 km
- Friday, June 30 : O Pedrouzo – Santiago +/- 19.4 km
- Saturday, July 1: Free day in Santiago de Compostela
- Sunday, July 2: Departure and transfer from the hotel to Santiago airport
- Lodging in a room with private bathroom
- 8 breakfasts and 8 suppers
- Drinks (water and wine) included in the suppers
- Luggage transport for each of the stages along the way
- Accommodations along the way: Hotels, Rural Houses, Pensions or Hostels
- Official Galician guide and expert on the Camino de Santiago from day 1 to day 9
- VIP bus from day 1 to day 9 (includes airport transfers and support bus along the way)
- Tickets to the cathedral of Santiago with audio guides
- 24-hour telephone assistance service
- Maps of the Stages
- Pilgrim Credential
- Vieira Peregrino (souvenir)
- Air transportation between your hometown and Santiago de Compostela
- Passport fees
- Meals and beverages, other than specified under inclusions
- Laundry and other items of a personal nature
- Travel Insurance
- Cost for anything not specifically mentioned under inclusions
How to Register
- Reserve your spot with a $500 Commitment Deposit with the LMU Center for Religion and Spirituality
- Purchase your ticket on the group flight from Corniche Travel (or make your own travel arrangements)
Prices and Links. LMU and the Loyola Institute are offering a Land-only package, covering all pilgrimage activities in Spain (scroll down to read inclusions and exclusions):
- Per person in a shared room - $2,150
- Per person in a private room - $2,650
Discounts. Up to $250 in discounts are available. Please scroll down for more information.
Please Note. The links above will take you to a page where you will first enter your passport information, and then on to LMU’s registration page where you can complete your registration and make a payment of at least $500 (your Commitment Deposit that reserves your spot in this pilgrimage).
If you have any trouble navigating the registration process, please call the LMU Center for Religion and Spirituality at (310) 338-2799. In particular, the reset password function on the LMU registration page does not work—don’t waste your time on it.
Commitment Deposit Required. A $500 non-refundable commitment deposit is required to reserve your spot in the pilgrimage. The Commitment Deposit counts toward the total price of the pilgrimage, and is only refundable should LMU decide not to run the pilgrimage.
$50 Discount for Early Commitment Deposit. Register for the pilgrimage and pay your Commitment Deposit by December 21, 2022, and receive a $50 discount. Please note: discount is applied to the total bill after the Commitment Deposit is paid (it is NOT a discount on the Commitment Deposit itself).
$200 Super-Early Full Payment Discount. Pay in full by January 20, 2023 and receive a $200 discount. Please note: this discount can be combined with the Early Commitment Deposit discount only (it cannot be combined with any other discount).
$100 Early Full Payment Discount. Pay in full between January 21 and February 15, 2023 and receive a $100 discount. Please note: this discount can be combined with the Early Commitment Deposit discount only (it cannot be combined with any other discount).
Final payment due March 15, 2023.
Cancellations and Refunds
$500 Commitment Deposit is nonrefundable. Beginning March 15, 2023, all payments for the remaining cost of this pilgrimage are nonrefundable.
Please consider purchasing trip insurance to protect the investment you make in this pilgrimage.
Purchase your ticket for group flight seperately. International travel to Spain is not included in the price of the program (all ground and air transport within Spain is included).
Corniche Travel has partnered with LMU and the Loyola Institute to make available round-trip travel from Los Angeles to Santiago de Compostela on Iberia Airlines for $2198.55 (except for LAX, all times listed below are local to Spain):
- IB6170 - Lv Los Angeles (LAX) Fri., June 23, 2023, 6:00 PM; Arr Madrid (MAD) Sat., June 24, 2023, 2:05 PM
- IB3878 - Lv MAD Sat., June 24, 2023, 3:45 PM; Arr Santiago de Compostela (SCQ) Sat., June 24, 2023, 5:00 PM
- IB3877 - Lv SCQ Sun., July 2, 2023, 9:10 AM; Arr MAD Sun., July 2, 2023, 10:25 AM
- IB6171 - Lv MAD Sun., July 2, 2023, 12:35 PM; Arr LAX Sun., July 2, 2023, 4:00 PM
To purchase your ticket, call Corniche Travel and ask for Chris Johnson or Paul Mock at (310) 854-6000, or email Chris Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note. The group flights are only for the Iberia flights listed above. No changes/deviations allowed. Full payment for your ticket on the group flights must be made by March 20, 2023.
If you prefer, you may book your own international travel. As the program will start and end in Santiago de Compostela (exact location TBD), participants will need to book their travel to and from Spain with these dates and times in mind:
- Arrival in Santiago de Compostela must be no later than 5 PM on Saturday, June 24, 2023
- Return flight from Santiago de Compostela must depart no earlier than 9:10 AM on Sunday, July 2, 2023
Important Travel Requirements. All participants must have a valid passport (expiration date at least 6 months from scheduled date of return to the United States). Participants are responsible for being familiar with USA and SPAIN travel requirements. No refunds will be made should a student fail to secure proper travel documentation.
Information on travel from the USA to Spain can be found at the U.S. State Department web site.
In preparation this pilgrimage, two online pre-departure class meetings will be held on:
- Monday, March 6, 2023, 6:30-7:30 PM Pacific
- Monday, June 5, 2023, 6:30-7:30 PM Pacific
Pilgrims are required to attend these class meetings, which will be conducted via live video-conferencing (Zoom).